Build A Strong, Sexy Midsection With These Core Strength Exercises
Core strength exercises will help you develop your core stability. This means that you'll be able to control the central area of your body more effectively.
Your core muscles are the foundation for all your body's movements. So, if you're going to work any area, this is it!
Benefits of Doing Core Strength Exercises
Doing core strength exercises will hugely decrease the chances of you getting injuries, especially to your spine.
Having a strong core helps to improve your performance in almost all sports.
Core stability helps with your co-ordination by allowing easier and more efficient movement in your ams and legs.
Having a strong core helps to improve your posture.
Having a strong core helps to protect the spine from forceful blows, whether it be in sport or an accident of some kind.
Having a strong core helps you to do all the other exercises on this site!
Hold 'n Burn
This exercise is much harder than it looks. We assure you, hold it long enough and you'll discover it is a fantastic core strength exercise.
- Find something to raise your legs on. A bed or swiss ball is perfect.
- Get your body into the push up position.
- Place your feet and ankles on the edge of the swiss ball.
- Make sure you back is straight and your core is pulled in tight.
- Hold this for as long as possible.
Oh Yes, It's The Crazy Dance!
This one really looks crazy, especially when Shaye does it! It's one of those bizzare looking ones that you would rather not do in public.
It can be quite hard to get the co-ordination right for this one but keep trying and it will become an effective exercise.
- Balance on your bottom.
- Sit in a wide V shape.
- Straighten your left leg and bend your right leg.
- Face your body to the right.
- Now reverse this position while keeping balance.
- Make it feel like you're having a good boogie!
Shaye has done these since she was a kid. She learnt them when she was a gymnast. Dish holds are excellent for getting those deep core muscles working!
- Get onto your yoga mat.
- Lie on your back and raise your feet off the ground.
- Dish your back so that only a small area of it is touching the ground.
- Put your arms by your ears.
- If this is too difficult at first, put your arms by your side.
- Hold this for as long as you can.
Swiss Ball Sit-ups
This is an oldie but a goodie. If you do these with proper technique they will work wonders.
Make sure you don't lift your head with your hands.
- Get an exercise ball.
- Lie on your back and rest your feet on it.
- Support the back of your head with your hands.
- Lift up into a crunch.
- Hold for about a second.
- Lower back to the floor slowly.
The slower you do this exercise the better.
- Sit on the ground with bent knees.
- Take your feet off the ground and balance on your bum.
- Straighten your legs while staying balanced.
- Return to the start position.
Here's another one of Shaye's killer diving exercises.
- Lie on the floor face up.
- Put your hands above your head and your legs out straight.
- Lift your hands and feet and balance on your bum.
- In a rapid movement, bend in half, and touch your feet with your hands.
- Return to the start position.
Swiss Ball Leg Lifts
It is important to keep your lower back flat on the ground.
This becomes difficult as the swiss ball gets lower. If you cannot keep your lower back flat then either stop or do it without the swiss ball.
- Get a swiss ball.
- Lie on your back with the swiss ball in between your legs.
- Lift the swiss ball up.
- Lower it down.
Medicine Ball Balance Test
This is a test! If you can do this core strength exercise, you know that you have good core strength! Don't expect to be able to do it on your first go. Make it an aim and work towards it.
- Get a medicine ball.
- Balance on it in the straddle position!
- Good luck :-)
Want to know the secret to 6 pack abs?
These core strength exercises are only a small part of getting 6 pack abs. In fact, personal trainer, Mike Geary argues that they are some of the least important exercises for a 6-pack.
We purchased Mike's e-book, the truth about abs, and tried out some of his secret 6 pack abs workouts. Boy were they intense! We highly recommend them.
Sign up to our monthly newsletter to receive free updates about the latest in home fitness. As a bonus you'll also receive 2 free e-books to help you tone up and lose weight. Click here to sign up