Glute Stretches That Are Guaranteed to Loosen You Up!
Glute stretches are essential for loosening up your entire body. After all, your glute muscles are some of your biggest muscles. If they are tight it puts a strain on your entire body.
It can have a negative effect on all types of movement. Bending over, walking, lifting your legs and jumping are just a few of the things you may find difficult.
What everyone ought to know about lower back pain
Many people think that lower back pain is caused by problems with their lower back. Sure, in some cases it is...BUT...
...most of the time, it is due to tight glute muscles!
Your gluteus maximus and gluteus medius are the two most important culprits. They can cause excruciating low back pain when they're tight. If this is your problem, give these stretches a shot. They will help relieve your pain and let you get a good nights sleep.
Here's 3 other reasons to stretch your glutes
- Stretching your glutes after a workout helps spare you from a stiff body the next day.
- Doing glute stretches will help keep you mobile as you age.
- Stretching your glutes helps keep you injury free. Nobody wants a pulled glute!
...Okay, lets not torment ourselves with the thought of a pulled butt muscle! How about we get going with the stretches?
Stretch your glutes often ( every day if possible ) to get the fastest improvements. They are big muscles so you just need to persevere with them...
This stretches the glute muscle of your front leg.
- Step your right leg far forward into the lunge position like Shaye is doing.
- Lower your hips down as much as you can.
- Hold for 30 seconds and then repeat on the opposite side.
Stacked Knee Glute Stretch
This is one of Tom's favorite glute stretches. If you can't get into the full position, just go as far as you can.
- Put your left foot next to your right hip.
- Now put your right leg on top and try to get the foot around to the opposite hip.
- Try to stack your knee's on top of each other.
- Lean forward and hold for 30 seconds
- Swap sides and repeat.
This is an incredibly strong and deep glute stretch.
- Place your front lower leg crossways onto a Yoga mat.
- Now stretch your other leg back as far behind you as you can.
- Lean forward to increase the stretch in your glute muscle.
- Hold this for 30 seconds and the swap sides.
This is one of the most brilliant glute stretches out. Make it a must for the end of your workout.
- Lie on your back and bend one leg.
- Straighten your opposite leg and raise it towards the sky.
- Put the foot of your bent leg on the knee of your straight leg.
- Pull your straight leg towards your chest.
- Hold this for 30+ seconds.
- Do this again with your other leg.
- Do this 3 times for some great benefits!
Learn The Flexibility Secrets That Even Most Yoga Students Will Never Know
A couple of weeks ago I signed up to Lucas Rockwood's free 7-day flexibility course. It's basically just a series of Yoga "secrets" that get sent to your email daily.
The secret I found most interesting was day #3. It was all about the effect that food has on your flexibility. I was surprised to find out how important diet is!
If you're interested in increasing your flexibility, I recommend checking out Lucas' course.
Sign up to our monthly newsletter to receive free updates about the latest in home fitness. As a bonus you'll also receive 2 free e-books to help you tone up and lose weight. Click here to sign up