The Secret To Sexy Legs - Hamstring Exercises At Home
Want legs to-die-for? These hamstring exercises will help you build that sexy, toned muscle that you've been looking for...
Doing these exercises at home will help you...
- Reduce the appearance of cellulite on the back of your legs.
- Improve the shape of your legs!
- Build muscle which helps burn huge quantities of fat!
- Tighten and firm your legs.
These are the hamstring exercises that you will learn from this page:
Swiss Ball Butt and Hamstring Busters
This is one of our favorite hamstring exercises. After a set of these you will be feeling the burn! Keep them up though. These not only give toned hamstrings, but a perky butt too!
- Lie on the ground with your feet up on a swiss ball.
- Raise your hips so that you have a straight or slightly arched back.
- This is the start position
- Bend your knees to 90 degrees
- The ball will roll with your feet.
- Make sure that you do not bend at the hips.
- Hold for about a second.
- Roll back to the start position.
Hamstring Curls With Milk Dumbbottles
This exercise uses a milk dumbbottle strapped to an ankle weight. You can use whatever you can find that will strap securely to your leg.
- Find a step or ledge to stand on.
- Strap weights to your ankle.
- Bend your leg to 90 degrees.
- Hold for 1-2 seconds.
- Lower back to the start position.
- Change legs.
This hamstring exercise is awesome! It works and stretches your hamstrings as well as targeting your lower back.
Be very careful when doing these exercises. Make sure you keep your back straight. Don't over do the weight. Start off lightly and work your way up.
- Hold a weight with both hands.
- Stand up straight with you butt squeezed.
- Bend at the hips
- In a controlled movement lower the weight to the floor.
- Make sure that you keep your back straight.
- Lift to the start position in a controlled movement.
Hamstring Mega Blaster
This is the only hamstring exercise that deserves a name like this. It's extremely hard and really good for strengthening your hamstrings.
- Lie in the position shown with one leg raised in the air.
- Roll the swiss ball towards your body as close as you can manage.
- Squeeze your hamstring muscle.
- You can help to balance with your arms.
- Slowly release the swiss ball back to the starting position.
Donkey Leg Lifts
This one works more than you might think. If you want some variety, do 10 reps slowly and then 10 reps fast.
- Get into the kneeling position.
- Lift one leg out the back and keep it straight.
- Lift the straight leg as high as you can without skewing your hips.
- Squeeze your hamstring and butt at the top.
- Lower your leg again but don't let it touch the ground.
- Change sides.
Bench Hip Raises
This hamstring exercise works your back, glutes and hamstrings.
- Find a bench and get into the position shown.
- Raise your hips up slowly.
- When you get to the top squeeze your hammies and butt.
- Hold this for 2 seconds.
- Lower down to the ground slowly.
This exercise works your hamstrings, glutes and lower back. It's great for when you're short on time because it doesn't require any equipment. No matter how busy you are, you can always do a couple of sets in 5 mins and be on your way again.
- Get into the position shown on a yoga mat.
- Lift your hips up to the second position.
- Squeeze your hamstrings and glutes at the top and hold for 2 seconds.
- Slowly lower your body back to the floor.
Basic Hamstring Stretch
It's a good idea to stretch out after you've finished a round of hamstring exercises. You'll feel a lot better the next day.
In this type of stretch it is important to get your stomach touching your thighs before your head does. A lot of people do it the other way around, which just ends up stretching your back, not your hamstrings.
- Sit up with your legs straight out in front of you.
- Try to sit forward of your tail bone.
- Bend forward at the hips and try to lay your body against your thighs.
- Reach for your toes. If you can't reach then your shins will do.
- Hold this for 30 seconds.
Psst, Women Do You Want A Toned Butt Too?
These hamstring exercises will help you get nice toned legs. But there's more to a sexy lower body than just your legs.
There's your butt too!!!
And I don't know anyone who doesn't want a sexy toned butt. So if you're interested in learning a simple program to develop your tush. Read my review of the firm butt workout. It worked for me :)
Sign up to our monthly newsletter to receive free updates about the latest in home fitness. As a bonus you'll also receive 2 free e-books to help you tone up and lose weight. Click here to sign up