6 Ways To Build Muscle Fast

I'm a big fan of seeing rapid changes in your body. So here's a list of my top 6 ways to build muscle fast. These will help you pack on muscle in the most efficient way possible.

 

1. Train less

Lots of people think that the more time you spend lifting weights the bigger you're going to get. But the truth is, the time you spend training is only the spark that sets off the muscle building fire. It's the time spent nourishing and rebuilding your muscle (outside of training times) that makes the most difference.

Sure, there is a minimum time you need to spend training your butt off. But it's not as long as you might think.

3-4 hours per week can be quite enough.

It's also important to take time off every now and again.

Back when I did the truth about abs challenge I was taking a week off every 6 weeks. And it was magical. My strength went up in those weeks and I felt like when I got back into it I was a new person.

 

2. Every Set Should Go to Concentric Muscular Failure

This is best demonstrated with an example. Let's say you're doing weighted chin ups. You put on your weight and hop up to the bar. Your first 3 reps are easy. It's smooth sailing. Your 4th and 5th reps start to get considerably tougher. By the 6th you're struggling to get your chin above the bar...but you just manage to. You attempt a 7th rep but despite putting in 100% effort you can't lift your chin up to that bar.

That's concentric muscular failure. Despite your best efforts you just cannot complete that last rep.

One of the best ways to build muscle fast is to make sure all of your sets are that intense!

 

3. Eat Like A Horse

No I don't mean eat grass all day!

But I do mean eat food all day. Once you've sparked your muscles into growth mode, they're going to need lots of high quality nutrients to keep them growing.

Plenty of protein on a regular basis. Ideally, you want to be eating at least every 2-3 hours for maximum muscle building. This stops your body from going into a catabolic state where your muscles begin to get used for energy.

 

4. Focus on difficult lifts

Ever see anyone get massive by doing wrist curls? How about calf raises?

Nope? Neither have I!

That's because these exercises are just too easy. These minor muscles just aren't strong enough to be able to lift any decent weight. Instead, the exercises you do should "kick your butt" when you do them. You should feel exhausted because you've had to use every fibre of your being just to complete the exercise.

Examples of these difficult lifts include...

  • deadlifts
  • squats
  • lunges
  • pull ups
  • bench press
  • rows

These lifts use multiple muscle groups. Using these 95% of the time is one of the best ways to build muscle fast. The other 5% can be used for easy lifts if you like... to build your forearms or calves if you really want.

But just know that most of the muscle building effect comes from these difficult exercises.

 

5. Train your legs hard

Lots of guys want to get big and bulky in their upper body. They want a big chest and massive guns.

Great goal!

But surprisingly, training your arms is not the fastest way to get guns!

If you think about #4 above, focusing on difficult lifts, you'll see why it is so important to train your legs.

Leg training is much, much harder than arm training!

And leg training is one of the best ways to stimulate growth hormone and other anabolic hormones in your body. The stress from doing an all out leg workout will have a positive effect on your entire body.

It will strengthen and increase the size of all of your muscles.

 

6. Learn As Much As You Can About Building Muscle

I consider this the most important of the 6 ways to build muscle fast.

The more good quality information you learn about building muscle, the faster you'll be able to bulid muscle.

But how do you know what good quality information is? Well part of that is about selecting a good teacher. You wouldn't take fishing advice from your grandma whose favorite pastime is knitting. But you would take it from the guy who consistently brings back boatloads of fish.

Muscle building is no different. Pick your sources carefully.

For example, I learned a lot of the information in this article from Sean Nalewanyj's Truth About Building Muscle. He's a guy who is well known and respected in the muscle building industry. He's also pretty big. That's why I consider him a good, credible source.

The other part of the equation is putting it into action. Even the best muscle building tip in the world may not work for you in practice. But you'll never know if you don't try. Try out the things the experts say... see what works for you and throw out what doesn't.

 

 

Free updates

Sign up to our monthly newsletter to receive free updates about the latest in home fitness. As a bonus you'll also receive 2 free e-books to help you tone up and lose weight. Click here to sign up